08 June 2013

Should I stay or should I go now?

One of the reasons I chose to move to Ireland is there is the possibility of obtaining a long stay visa without having employment (i.e. a work visa.)   This blog post is about the process or as it turns out, what is quite a confusing process since not everyone involved knows the process.  I wanted to post my experience in case anyone in the same position as I am is looking to immigrate to Ireland.

The type of visa I am applying for is called "Permission to Remain" under the category of "Self Sufficiency" - retired person, long term visitor, or a dependent of a person already living here - and is valid for up to a year.  You can reapply each year for an extension and after 5 years, you can apply for permanent residency. That's not a choice in the UK, as you have to have a work visa or be married to a UK resident.  I did all kinds of research before leaving, on the Irish government website, as well as several expat websites.  I knew the main factor is that you have to prove you are self-sufficient financially and aren't reliant on the Irish government to live.  From what I read, during the Celtic Tiger or "boom years", their borders were almost completely open and people poured in.  However, now that the boom is over, they are quite strict about who stays and who goes.

There is a pamphlet on the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service (INIS) website entitled "Permission to Remain: For Non-E.E.A.(European Economic Area) Nationals" and the directions are quite clear.  According to the pamphlet, you have to obtain permission to remain from the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform and "...this can be done by reporting to your local Immigration Officer...in the district in which you reside."  You need 1) A valid passport; 2) Evidence that you have sufficient funds with which to support yourself and any dependents; 3) Any information requested in connection with the purpose of your arrival in the state; and 4) Private medical insurance to cover your stay in the State."  Again, it states you must be "...in a position to show that you have sufficient resources to cover your stay in the State without recourse to public funds, services or State benefits." And, you must "...report to your local Immigration Officer with details of your future intentions and sufficient evidence of the above."  

All of that is pretty clear, other than the fact that they don't state an exact dollar amount you need to have in the bank.  I heard from 2 American couples that they asked their local Immigration Officer and was told it was 25,000 euros (the equivalent of $33,000) either in the bank or coming in on an annual basis.  I am good with that, but as you will see further down, that's not all you have to have.

When you come to Ireland from the U.S., there is no visa required, as long as you are staying up to 3 months as a tourist.  However, when I arrived in Dublin, the Immigration official at Customs stamped my passport for 1 month instead of 3.  I was then told by the Customs Agent that I needed to go to Cork City with all my documentation and "register."  This was confusing, as I had corresponded with several Americans who said you have to write a letter to the office in Dublin once you arrive in Ireland.  This in itself was confusing, as the pamphlet from the government says you need to show your documentation to the local Officer, not the office in Dublin.  Thinking the process must have changed, I went into Cork a few weeks after I arrived.  After standing in line for almost an hour, I was told I didn't need to register at all.  I was told by the Immigration Officer in Cork that I needed to send a letter requesting an application number, then once I received the number, I was to show my documents to the local official in Fermoy near the village where I was living. Fair enough.  Off to write my letter to Dublin.

I sent the letter off to Dublin and since the date stamped in my passport was almost up, I made an appointment with the local Immigration Officer to see about getting it extended for the full 3 months.  I met with the official in Fermoy, who took my picture and entered my information in the computer, and explained that once I received the letter back from Dublin, I would be showing him my documentation.  He said it was not necessary for him to extend the stamp in my passport.  "They won't deport you....yet."  Now that was a relief.  After another month went by and I still hadn't heard from the office in Dublin, I went to see him again, and this time he agreed to stamp my passport through May 14th, giving me a total of 3 months in Ireland.  Just as I was leaving, I mentioned again that I hadn't received the application number and he said "You mean the approval."  I said I hadn't even sent my documentation in, as I was directed to only request an application number and that he would review my documentation.  Both he and the official in Cork had directed me to do the same thing.  He then said the complete opposite.  I was supposed to send all of my documentation to Dublin and they would make the determination.  He was only there to stamp my passport.  (The frustrating thing about all of these visits is that I took notes every time I was there and was certain I was following their direction.  Turns out they aren't familiar with their own direction.)  Off to write another letter and send my documentation to Dublin.  

Since I still hadn't received word from Dublin and it was getting closer to the end of my 3 month tourist visa, I decided to leave to visit Scotland.  I tried one last time to have the Immigration Officer in Fermoy extend my stay, as I know other Americans in the same situation who were granted extensions.  However, this particular official said it wasn't necessary.  As long as I kept the letter with me saying I was waiting for approval, I would be fine.  He also said it was alright to leave the country while waiting for the approval, something another American couple I met had heard was not allowed.  The day after I left for Scotland, the letter came from Dublin, and was forwarded to me.  More documentation was requested.  

This time, they requested: 1) Additional bank statements - back 6 months; 2) Evidence of private medical insurance; 3) A police background check on police letter head; 4) List of "Irish Associations/Connections"; and 5) A medical report detailing my current medical status.  This information is due to them on June 14th.  I already sent in the proof of medical insurance.  They obviously missed it.  I submitted my background check completed by an FBI-approved company (called a channeler), but the company I used did not supply the results on FBI letter head back in January.  The company does now, but the results of the background check are purged after just 30 days, so I would need to have my fingerprints re-done, submitted again, and re-pay the fee.  I could send my fingerprints directly to the FBI, but again, I would have to have my fingerprints done locally, repay the fee, then wait 6-8 weeks for approval.  I thought about doing all of this again, but decided I would explain in the letter what I already submitted.  Connections in Ireland?  Knowing someone or more than one someones in Ireland was never mentioned as a qualification, but I was able to scrounge up a few acquaintances.  Two people I met through the Instagram app and a very nice American couple who already obtained their Permission to Remain said it would be alright to provide their names. The letter from Immigration didn't ask for references, but rather "Connections" so I am hoping that the fact that I don't know these people well will not make a difference.  Regarding the medical check-up, I could have had a check-up done in Ireland, but didn't know at the time it would be requested.  I thought about having a check-up here in Scotland or even flying back to Ireland for the day and seeing a GP there, but decided I don't have the extra money to spend if I am just going to be rejected for another reason, such as the background check.  I'll submit the lab tests I had done right before leaving and see what they say.

As I have written to several friends and my family, the worst case scenario is that I spend 1/2 the year in the UK and 1/2 in Ireland, staying as a tourist.  Having to move back and forth is not the best scenario, but at least there is an option.  One interesting thing about all the coming and going.  Ireland and the UK are in what is called a CTA - Common Travel Area.  This means you can travel back and forth between countries without having to go through Border Control or Immigration.  So, when I left Ireland for Scotland, there was no one at the border to stamp my passport.  Therefore, there is no documentation of when I left Ireland.  As for the UK, you can stay up to 6 months as a tourist (3 more months than you can stay in Ireland.)  However, just as with there being no proof of when I left Ireland, there is no proof of when I entered the UK either.  One American woman I met said she flew to Amsterdam for the day, just to get her passport stamped, so she could prove she left the country.  Or was it that she entered the country?  Now I can't remember.  

In my "old life", I would have been quite stressed by now about all of the changes in direction regarding the approval process for Permission to Remain.  However, one of my main goals for my "new life" is to not become stressed over things I can't control.  All I can do is follow the direction I am given, submit the paperwork, and see what happens.  On that note...I will leave you with this collage of photos taken just the other evening.  



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great blog! Ever little bit of info from all sources is helpful in this quest to get relocated to Ireland!
Cheers!
Jane in CA